The Challenge-100-150-word story (give or take 25)to the photo prompt below.
Week of 05/27/2015 – 06/02/2015
Linking will open 12:00 am (EST/NYC) on Tues 5/26/2015 (5:00 am London)
Linking will close 6:55 pm (EST/NYC) on Tues 6/02/2015 (11:55 pm London)
Word Count: 176
Danielle and the Church Visit
“Why are we going to visit the church?” Danielle asked.
“To ask for forgiveness.” her mother stated.
“What do I need forgiving for?”
“Well, being pregnant is a start!” mother exclaimed, “Not to speak of the sex involved.”
“Oh, MOTHER!” Daniel responded exasperated.
“Don’t ‘Oh MOTHER’ me!” mother responded.
Danielle looked sullenly to the ground as her mother stared at her.
Her mother said, “I am so embarrassed to have to tell the Pastor about this. What’s he going to think?”
“Stuff happens.This isn’t the first time this has happened in history,” Danielle responded.
They both walked into the church and to the Pastor’s office. He looked up.
“So how can I help you two?” Pastor James asked.
Danielle’s mother said, “She’s pregnant and only 15. What can we do?”
Pastor James took a deep breath and said, “Let’s go into the sanctuary and pray about this.”
Danielle rolled her eyes as her mother said,”Prayer didn’t get her this way!”
Pastor James took another deep breath leading the way.
“Father God we ask…”
Teen pregnancy continues to be a leading problem in the United States. DoSomething.org is an organization for young people and social change. The organization presents 11 facts (with citations at the bottom). I list below the top 5 facts. If you would like to read the complete article or take action and volunteer with their millions of members then Click Here.
- 3 in 10 teen American girls will get pregnant at least once before age 20. That’s nearly 750,000 teen pregnancies every year.
- Parenthood is the leading reason that teen girls drop out of school. More than 50% of teen mothers never graduate from high school. Aid young parents by starting a Babysitters Club so they can take GED classes. Sign up for Babysitters Club.
- About 25% of teen moms have a 2nd child within 24 months of their first baby.
- Less than 2% of teen moms earn a college degree by age 30.
- The United States has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western industrialized world.